Merchants National Bank, ca. 1900 – 499 Central Ave
Founded by Charles Carpenter Goss of Pittsfield, the Merchants National Bank began operations on April 2, 1900 with $100,000 in capital. Mr. Goss was the first cashier and his grandfather Charles H. Carpenter was chosen as the first president. Merchants Savings Bank was organized at the same location in 1901 and remained here until 1974 when a new facility, now known as People’s United Bank, was constructed further north on Central Avenue. Merchants National Bank remained on this spot and merged with the First National Bank of Portsmouth in 1993. In 1997, the Farmington National Bank took over this location, and in 2002 the space became home to Baldface Books. The Holy Rosary Credit Union is the newest tenant in this building now known as Veronica House.
For more information about Merchants National Bank, Click Here.