Franklin (Upper) Square, ca. 1934 – 481 Central Ave
Dover’s two largest chain department stores can be seen on opposite sides of Central Avenue: Montgomery Ward, on the left, faced J.J. Newberry’s on the corner of Second Street. The new Morrill Block, constructed after a devastating fire in January 1932 wiped out 26 businesses in the old block, stands between Second and Third Streets on the right side. Stores in the Morrill Block included The Besse Store for men’s clothing, Michel’s for ladies’ apparel, Edmond W. Aubert’s shoe store, Tober’s Dry Goods, and Lothrop & Pinkham’s Pharmacy. Upstairs were Clyde Whitehouse, optometrist, and Hector’s Barber Shop. In the center of the photo stands the Morrill Fountain, donated by Joseph Morrill’s descendants to the city in 1914. Note that traffic on Central Avenue was two-way!
For more information about Franklin (Upper) Square, Click Here.